Benefits GIS Can Bring to Local Governments
Although the situations vary from one location to another, the list of benefits available to most local units of government that use GIS often include:
- Reduced time spent on map revisions and re-prints.
- Easier data management and protection against the catastrophic loss of valuable maps.
- Easier & more complete analysis of spatial information for land use and infrastructure planning, delivery of services such as police and fire protection, and community development.
- Improvement in the quality and timeliness of information services exchanged between departments and provided to the community.
- Improved ability to respond quickly to emergency situations where geographic information and specially formatted products are important.
- Improved ability to meet the heightened expectations of citizens for more and better information delivered rapidly.
- It benefits public works and election departments, emergency services, law enforcement, assessor’s offices, and many more divisions. GIS consistently delivers a return on investment including cost avoidance, time savings; increased accuracy, productivity, and revenue; and better decision making.